Thursday, June 6, 2013

Cat show

I did it.....
I went to a cat show in Italy. It was billed as The International Cat Show in Bellagio, an opportunity I just couldn't miss. John was interested, but had already embarked on a cooking plan that would take some time, so off I went on my own. I caught the ferry and wandered around Bellagio until I found the venue. Lots of posters, but not that many people and not that many cats, probably 60 or so.
It seemed hardly an international show from what I could see and the system of judging was any thing but inclusive. In Australia, the cat is taken to a main judging table by a steward and the judge examines it, sometimes talking to the audience and explaining different attributes of different breeds. But generally you get a very good view of the furry person.
Here, the owner wanders up, cat in hand, put it on a little table where the judge looked at it, patted it, had a little chat, and that was that.
So, somewhat disappointing, but I still got my fix. They are very protective of their babies, so a lot of them are protected by plastic show containers which make it very hard to see the cat.
I went out of curiosity really, to see which breeds were popular in Italy or Europe generally.
Hands down, it was the Maine Coon Cat show. There were a few British Shorthairs, a few Ragdolls, 2 Devon Rex, 2 Exotics, 1 Siamese and one Abyssinian and pretty much the rest were varying ages of Maine Coon.
In the same hall they had a Reptile exhibition. Strange mixture I thought.













No comments:

Post a Comment